From here to there
For the first time this week I had to bring disciplinary action against one of my students. I wasn't threatened physically, but this kid has absolutely no self-control and no stress management skills- he was taking the rest of the class down with his sinking ship.
I feel both good and bad about this situation. First, I recognized the issue and took it to the administration, who admitted that multiple faculty members have had similar problems, before it escalated. That means I have good instincts as a teacher. Deep down, however, I feel really heartbroken about this kid, because something happened to make him the way he is. I knew he was meeting with the dean today while I sat reading with Graham and I wondered how a trusting, happy little creature becomes an out-of-control, angry young adult. And I wished I could have protected my student and all the other little boys out there from harm.
Thursday, October 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Amazing isnt it. How becoming a parent changes your view of the little monsters in your class. I cant decide whether it is making me a better teacher or a pushover.
-Dot
Post a Comment