Monday, September 22, 2008


My Apologies to Leap Frog

We bought G this magnetic alphabet toy a while ago in the hopes that it would give him something to do while I cook. It goes like this: individual alphabet magnets can be put into a little box, at which point a song plays. It's an obnoxious song, honestly, that pairs the letter with its sound, so:

A says ah; A says ah; every letter makes a sound; A says ah

It's loud and a little troubling to hear at 6am. But yesterday, I was doing laundry and G was playing with it. He looked at me, pointed to the letter M, and said "M." Fluke, right? Oh, no. The kid knows about half his letters by sight and will repeat the name and sound to you. This is the same little guy who is still way behind most of his buddies, speech-wise. Totally amazing. We spent a lot of yesterday having him perform his cool trick for the uncles. 

So, my apologies to Leap Frog, who I had until now thought a gimmicky brand that prays on the desire of parents to have smart kids. I mean, it might do still be a gimmicky brand, but it taught G his alphabet without us even KNOWING about it. 

4 comments:

sarah said...

um, whitney? "a" says "ay,"--and "ah."

you forgot that part, but it is, you know, my favorite part of the song.

fucking leap frog. how dare they be so...useful.

Be Like the Squirrel, Girl said...

Wow, this information is very useful. Not that I thought Leapfrog was bad, but I hadn't heard any resounding reviews of their products. Cool! Hooray for G! Why do the educational toys have to have the annoying songs?

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah? Well my kids rewired their Lepafrog Fridge-phonic to say the alphabet in Cyrillic...

"Ж says Zhe..."

ba said...

first, my husband is an ass. second, be careful my friends. the day you and jen can no longer spell out swears and other inappropriate comments is a sad one indeed.