We lost our friend Aimee to cancer last Wednesday. This poem always, even when we were young grad students with nothing but future ahead of us, reminded me of her. Now it just makes me cry.
--
When you are old and gray and full of sleep
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;
How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false and true;
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face.
And bending down beside the glowing bars,
Murmur, a little sadly, how love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead,
And his his face amid a crowd of stars.
-- W.B. Yeats
5 comments:
Oh, Whit. Beautiful. I'm sorry.
This is very sad. I can tell by her pictures that she was lovely. My heart aches for you.
Thanks for the poem.
Dear Whitney! Thank you for posting this poem. I can see why you're crying. "Pilgrim soul" is so perfect. Did you remember Aimee did her junior project at thomas more on yeats?
Love
Kate Skidd
I've always loved this poem. What a beautiful tribute to your lovely friend. I'm so sorry, Whit.
Post a Comment