Friday, June 22, 2007

We recently ordered some prints of digital photos, with the thought of one day actually putting them on the walls of our new house. The pictures capture especially cute moments in my late pregnancy and Graham's early life, so Jen and I had a fun few minutes flipping through and noting all the ways G has changed ("Look! It's that week he was skinny!"). What struck me most, however, was a picture of myself.



My friends, I had given birth to a 9 1/2lb baby minutes before this photo was taken, but I look BETTER then than I do now: more rested, clearer complected, and younger. This fact leads me to the following conclusion- Giving birth is easier than actually raising a baby. The grey hairs, wrinkles and tired, saggy eyes I sport daily are a direct result, not of being pregnant or giving birth, but of being a mom. The two labors are not even comparable. I am also smarter, happier, and more loving (and loved) now, as well, so I'll take the trade. But don't let anyone tell you that childbirth is the hard part.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that a mustache I see on your upper lip!?!

Love your tenderness and the joy you get from little G. Thank you for sharing all of these moments and experiences. Mom would be so proud of you! I'm sure she loves that boy and wishes she could be here with your family.

XXOO