Where We're Headed....
I had a scary taste of the future today, in that G has begun to develop a will. He loves the dog's leash (it feels interesting and has a clanky thing on the end), but even the most laid back parent would admit that the dog's leash is likely coated in nasty stuff. So, after we returned from the dog park today, I let him hold the people end of the leash on the way up the steps. Then, when we got inside I took it away from him, at which point he complained. Loudly. This ability to remember something after it's been taken away is called object permanence, and it's new for us. But that's not the kicker.
I put him on the rug with toys and went to the other room to fix his lunch. I heard him chortling away and figured he was fine. When I came out a few minutes later, there he was, in our front hallway CLUTCHING the leash. He'd traveled 5 or so feet. He'd been chortling because HE HAD WON. He not only remembered the thing he wanted, but he strove to get it. And admired himself for doing so.
Then I thought to myself: welcome to the rest of your life.
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment