Birthdays
We're at T-minus 4 days to G's 2nd birthday here, and, as I begin to be unable to focus on anything else, I thought it might be useful to provide some background to our newer friends. Anyone who's been around for 10 plus years or more can probably just skip this post, as this particular personality quirk has certainly made itself known to you.
I love birthdays.
I have many reasons for preferring birthdays to Halloween or Christmas or Easter, but it all probably boils down to the fact that my parents raised me to be a birthday fiend. (The religion didn't stick, but the deep seated desire to make my own cakes sure did.) There's a long history here: My mom threw the BEST parties when I was a kid, and my dad was always involved. For example, one year I had a 50s themed party and BOTH my parents dressed up. Another year, the pink year, my mom made a sign for our door with my name on it- she cut out construction paper to make pink tulips; I wore pink overalls; I had the BEST pink flowers on my cake.
Anyway, I was raised to think birthdays were special, and I plan on passing this on to my kids. And this year, since G is finally old enough to have preferences, I can do awesome things like buy a cake pan shaped like a guitar. My mom would have hand made invites, too, but my game is not quite to that level. Not yet.
1 comment:
Gee, no hand written invites? Graham will undoubtedly be traumatized for the rest of his life. He may have to come live with us.
Granddad Martin
Post a Comment