Tuesday, February 12, 2008



Food Update

We've screwed up, already, many times as parents, I readily admit. Graham's still not a fantastic sleeper (though much improved), which is our fault. He's sometimes shy around new people, which may be because I didn't really leave the house his first year. We're not so great about bargain shopping or letting him wear stuff that is handed down, unless it is cute (thereby starting him off with a healthy sense of materialism). But, gentle reader, we've done one thing right: we've made a kid who likes the same food adults do. I just can't bear the "toddler food" industry, so we went straight from the pureed stuff (which I made, mostly) to the same things we eat. So, the other night for dinner, we sat down to a dinner of asiago/mushroom sausages, mashed potatoes (a yuppie bangersnmash), and spinach together, all three of us. I'll say right now that these habits would be different (or more difficult) if I worked full time or loved cooking less, but as of today, I feel proud to have made this boy who eats olives and tangerines and yuppie sausage. He'll even try it with a spoon most of the time.

Anyway, enough with the back patting. Since I spend so much time wondering about everything I must be doing wrong, it felt like a good time to think about what we've done absolutely right.


2 comments:

Ryan said...

If you'll notice in the background, Molly stares down Grahams plate with the lust of 14 year old boy at a Hannah Montana concert.


Graham's expression is priceless

Anonymous said...

Whitney:

I definitely share the "everything I've been doing wrong" phenomenon -- I still go through it, convinced i'm the worst mother in the world!

Glad to see Graham can eat "people food" so easily - kudos! There are enough chicken nuggets in the world for later years...